Tuesday, February 22, 2011

quotes to reflect on...

If you kept a daily diary of how much time you spent DOING versus THINKING about doing… you’d soon notice something obvious: We think more than we do. If we extrapolate that with the 80/20 rule (that 80% of the value from anything comes from 20% of the activities, you’d probably notice that you spend 20% of your time DOING and 80% NOT DOING. Just think if you could reverse that — unbelievable productivity would abound!
I evaluated some of my own reasons why I procrastinate:
  • Fear. I’m afraid of tackling the big project because it is something intimidating, or that may cause change in my life. For instance, I might put off going to the doctor to check into a strange symptom because I’m worried about what she might find. So I put it off.
  • The unknown. I put off doing something because I don’t know what’s going to happen, or what the process is. Example (true story): I delay trying to schedule our time share because I don’t know how to do it — the whole thing is like a jumbled mess that I don’t know how to approach. Do I call my home resort first? Or call the exchange place? What’s my password? Where do I want to go next? As a result, I just let the days pass.
  • Overwhelm. Cleaning a drawer is no big deal… but cleaning my basement? OVERWHELM! So I put it off. And put it off.
  • Unpleasantness. Some tasks just go to the bottom of the to-do list because they’re boring, unpleasant, or just plain nasty. Think about cleaning the toilet. Or getting a mammogram. Or sharing bad news with someone… it’s just easier NOT to do it, so I don’t.

Many people think that a cup overflowing is a good thing, and it is, if it is overflowing with love, peace and joy. This means you can ‘pour’ some of those feelings into the lives of others. However, if your cup is overflowing because you are so busy with STUFF, then can I make a suggestion?
Today, together, lets  take a good hard look at our cup and CHOOSE what to pour out?

0 comments on "quotes to reflect on..."