Tuesday, August 18, 2009

puppy chow


This is my first entry into a Blog Carnival...so here we go...
We made puppy chow the other day for our friends at the park district, celebrating their last week of camp. Some people associate this yummy treat with the holidays, i will always think of Summer Camp! (& how the counselor's would leave a baggy full of 'chow on my desk! So here are the ingredients:
Chex Cereal 6-9 cups
1/4 cup Butter
1 cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Peanut Butter (we used pb chips)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar.

Pour 1 cup of chocolate chips into a bowl, combine with 1/2 cup of peanut butter. Melt in microwave with 1/4 cup butter at 30 second intervals, until mixture is smooth. Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
The best part of this cooking project is little ones can assist with pouring & measuring. Any time you invite children into the kitchen, there are lessons to be learned involving math (measurements, recipes etc) and science (changing states-solid chips to liquefy etc)
Chips mixed together. Now the peanut butter chips were easier to stir but created a weird texture. I would use the pb chips again if i was in a hurry.

This is what happened when i let the Boy pour the cereal by himself!

Now i didn't get pictures of the next step. I was dealing with the odd texture of the PB Chips. The last step is put the cereal in a large bag. (only a couple cups at a time) pour a small amount of the goey mixture into the bag, top off with powdered sugar. Give the bag several minutes of shaking & mixing. The kids love this part of the project. Continue to add cereal, mixture & powdered sugar. I usually leave it all in the bag, but if you would like you can spread it out on a waxed paper covered cookie sheet.
Twist-i tried it with Cinnamon Chex.




2 comments on "puppy chow"

mahmommy on August 31, 2009 at 3:46 PM said...

Yummy! I love this- my mom used to make it all the time and I still can't get enough of it! I make a slightly grownup version and instead of just powdered sugar I coat it with half powdered sugar and halp cocoa powder. It's extra chocolatey so I increase the PB a little bit. Glad you shared... maybe I'll make some now!

annies home on August 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM said...

one of your recipe